Joining KPMG means joining a talented team of exceptional colleagues who bring innovative thoughts and a natural curiosity to the work they do each day. No one type of person succeeds at KPMG; a diverse business requires diverse personalities, characters and perspectives. There really is a place for you here.
As a member of our TechSolutions business, the Data Scientist will be a highly driven quantitative professional who can help organisations in their data-driven transformation journeys to extract a variety of information at a massive scale, draw deep insights from the data using complex analytical algorithms, and articulate compelling and engaging stories.
- Drive client engagements focused on big data analytics in diverse domains such as retail price optimisation, marketing strategies, customer intelligence, risk management, healthcare digitization, smart grids, cyber security etc.
- Focus on strategy, design and execution of data-centric business problems, and in the process create unique analytical solutions comprising management of large datasets (e.g., Hadoop framework) supported by advanced analytical techniques (e.g., machine learning, neural networks, A/B testing, etc.)
- Generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyse historical data, identify patterns from samples for reporting of trends and support predictive analytics.
- Leverage data visualisation techniques and tools to effectively demonstrate patterns, outliers and exceptional conditions in the data
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Data Science and Engineering team, as well as other teams across banking, insurance, healthcare, energy, telecommunications and other sectors, to innovate and create compelling data-based stories and experiences.
- Stay conversant in new analytic technologies, architectures and languages – where necessary – for storing, processing and manipulating this type of data.
- Develop a flair for the exploratory and experimental side of the role, required to tease out interesting and previously unknown insights in vast pools of data.
- Evidence of significant contributions to successful and interesting data-centric projects. This could be through academic research, industry experience, start ups or personal interest.
- Proficient with programming languages used by data scientists and in big data platforms, like Python, R, Scala, Julia, Java. Proficiency in other languages such as C++ will also be considered.
- Strong understanding of statistical analysis and causal inference.
- Well versed at applying advanced analytical techniques to large and varied data sets. Sample techniques include, but are not limited to:
- Applied machine learning and natural language processing
- Collaborative filtering and recommender systems
- Social network analysis and statistical text mining
- Neural networks
- Event detection and tracking
- Data visualization
- Ph.D. or MSc in Computer Science, Statistics or similar scientific or engineering fields.
- Working knowledge of a Big Data framework like Hadoop, including the various components like HDFS, Hive, Spark and the Map/Reduce programming framework.
- Relevant experience of managing and retrieving large-scale information in one or more industry areas like retail, healthcare, telecommunications, finance, software engineering, social networks, physical and life sciences etc.
- Experience with advanced visualisation techniques, including D3.js.
Our Deal At KPMG, your long-term future is every bit as important to us as it is to you. That’s why our aim is to give you experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. Whether it’s great training and development, mobility opportunities or corporate responsibility volunteering activities – you’ll gain a wealth of experiences on which to build a rewarding career. We’re a firm that encourages you to be yourself, values your contribution, and inspires you to act as a role model, always focused on doing the right thing for each other, our clients and our communities.
We’re at our best when you’re at your best; that’s why we’ve created ‘Our Deal’ and ‘The Academy’. Our Deal is the way we speak about the colleague experience and the expectations we have of our people. We expect the best from our people and in return we provide a stimulating, collaborative environment where each person can reach their extraordinary potential. Through ‘The Academy’, you’ll have access to communities which will support and develop you so that you build your skills and career. From introducing secondment programmes to preferential banking, and student loan payments to your birthday off, we’re making sure that our people have an amazing experience.
Flexible Working While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a balanced lifestyle. We offer part time roles with flexible working arrangements which could include, annualised hours, early or late starts to fit around other commitments, shorter working days etc. We are happy to discuss your own requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements in more detail, should that be of interest and, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly.
Applying with a Disability KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss with your recruitment contact any reasonable adjustments to our Recruitment Process that you may require.
KPMG’s commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We pride ourselves on being a place where your individuality is valued; you can be yourself and still achieve your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results to our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective – that’s the KPMG difference. But, don’t take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG by viewing our Policy
At KPMG, we recognise that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand and appreciate that those with experience who have taken a career break still have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.kpmgcareers.co.uk/job/London-Data-Scientist-KPMG-Lighthouse/475206900/?feedId=4&utm_ →