- Working as part of a team, the role holder will, using advanced analytical skills, develop the HSBC Group’s new financial intelligence platform, through which it intends to pro-actively search for financial crime risks not detected by the Group’s current suite of financial crime systems.
- Working at the leading edge of analytics, the role requires the job holder to apply the best possible combination of applied mathematics, statistics, advanced computing (machine learning, artificial intelligence), visualisation and data engineering to the area of combatting financial crime. Those of the above skills which the role holder does not currently bring to the role, will need to be developed.
- The role holder will bring the ability to work with extremely large, complex data sets. The ability to merge large data sets, to generate insight from those data sets and to be able to visualise those insights for both technical and non-technical audiences and users.
- The role holder must demonstrate a strong desire to develop and use technical skills. The role holder will be writing code for the application of advanced analytics in the area financial crime risk and must be able to critically interpret and analyse the results produced.
- The role holder must be able and willing to use advanced computing assets in order to achieve real practicable results. The candidate must be able to handle areas of uncertainty. The role holder must have a demonstrable interest and capability in computer sciences and new technology.
- Turning model prototypes into deployable solutions, supporting investigations, and manual execution of existing models
Impact on Business
- Key technical resource in the evolution of the Group’s financial crime intelligence capability and the management of financial crime risk
- Ability to work with key stakeholders in determining FCTM analytical requirements.
- The ability to communicate often complex analytical solutions to the wider department, ensuring a strong transfer of key findings & intelligence.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Global Head of Intelligence and Analytics
- Global Head of Research Analytics
- Research Analytics Senior Team Manager
- Senior Data Scientist Team Manager
- Supporting the analytics management team in working in working with all designated stakeholders to provide analytical expertise.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Develop and support analytical models & programs within the Financial Crime Risk team and with Global Security and Fraud Risk management and teams. The position holder may also be involved in joint projects with Financial Crime Compliance and with other Group Risk teams.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- HSBCs adherence to the requirements of the Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA)
- Create and deliver analytical solutions that are fully documented and explained that meet the business aims/requirements.
- Identify, monitor and mitigate top and emerging risks and ensure Senior Management awareness
- Exercises responsibility for updates to existing models through regular monitoring and validation of results.
- The role holder will be expected to be at the leading edge of this new technical skill set.
- The role is part of a small, but growing, team and will be expected to play a major part in defining and delivering the continued evolution of this capability within the wider context of FCTM and FCR.
- The role holder will be a part of a recently established team, working closely with Financial Crime Risk Management Intelligence and Investigations teams, in addition to FCR GRA and wider business teams.
- The deliverables are a key component of the HSBC Global Standards program.
- Annual project budget in excess of USD34m of which Data Science is a component
- The scope of the role encompasses all of HSBC’s clients and their transactional data (estimated at 100M and 40 billion per annum, respectively)
Management of Risk
- The role holder will continually reassess the financial crime risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of financial crime risk occurring.
- Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The role holder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The role holder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
- A combination of applied mathematics, statistics, advanced computing (machine learning, artificial intelligence), visualisation, data engineering. Specific domain expertise in the area of combatting financial crime and/or a strong R&D background an advantage.
- Experience working within the Hadoop ecosystem in addition to strong technical skills in analytical languages such as Python, R, SQL, SAS. Specific knowledge of Spark and/or graph theory an advantage.
- Top level academic results including a relevant degree education at BSc or MSc
- High quality further education, preferably a science background/PhD
- Demonstrable, inquisitive nature with the ability to pursue lines of inquiry independently
- Can communicate/present fluently to audiences at differing ability levels on fields outside of their own technical domain
- Demonstrable interest in the Financial Crime subject area and context.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating a diverse environment.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://hsbc.taleo.net/careersection/external/moresearch.ftl?lang=en_gb →